Post Natal Depression or PND affects 1 in 7 women in Australia. Post Natal Depression and Anxiety typically presents with a combination of symptoms but is different for every women. Typically symptoms can include:
- Extreme concern or worry about the baby’s health
- Panic attacks
- Hypersensitive to noise and being touched
- Changes in appetite or eating habits
- Feeling extremely tired and lacking in energy
- Insomnia or trouble sleeping even when baby is sleeping
- Sometimes obsessive compulsive behaviours can present
- Feeling sad or crying a lot
- Withdrawal from friends and family
- Suicidal thoughts
- Increased use of alcohol or drugs
- Total lack of sex drive or interest in being intimate
- General feeling of worthlessness or that you have lost yourself.
If you are experiencing any of these feelings, talking to a professional can help. Psychology Consultants have a number of female Psychologists who are trained in treating PNDA. Visit our Brisbane Psychologists page to see our full team of Clinical Psychologists and their fields of specialisation.